PATIENT SAFETY AND PATIENTS WITH ALZHEIMERS AND DEMENTIA
Direct Causes of Harm:
- Inadequate assessment and treatment
- The rapid pace and technological focus of modern hospital care makes good clinical assessment and treatment more difficult in older people with dementia.
- Often unable to communicate their needs
- Cognitive impairment creates barriers to safety
- Doctors and nurses spend less time with confused than with non- confused patients
- Frequently, underlying serious illness in these patients is not recognized